Int J Biol Sci 2015; 11(11):1337-1347. doi:10.7150/ijbs.12996
Studies on Inhibition of Proliferation of Enterovirus-71 by Compound YZ-LY-0
1. School of Medicine, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
2. Tsinghua-Peking Center for Life Sciences, School of Life Sciences, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
3. National Laboratory of Macromolecules, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing 100101, China
4. College of Pharmacy & State Key Laboratory of Elemento-Organic Chemistry, Nankai University, Tianjin 300071, China; Collaborative Innovation Center of Chemical Science and Engineering (Tianjin), Tianjin 300071, China
5. State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy and Cancer Center, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, and Collaborative Innovation Center for Biotherapy, Chengdu, 610041, China.
In recent years, hand-foot-and-mouth disease (HFMD), which is caused by Enteroviruses, has emerged as a serious illness. It affects mainly children under the age of five and results in high fatality rates. Enterovirus 71 (EV71) is the main causative agent of HFMD in China and currently there are no effective anti-viral drugs available to treat HFMD. In the present study, we screened compounds for inhibition of proliferation of EV71. Compound YZ-LY-0 stalled the life cycle of EV71. The inhibitor exhibited EC50 value of 0.29 μm against SK-EV006 strain of EV71. Notably, YZ-LY-0 had low cytotoxicity (CC50 > 100 μM) and a high selectivity index (over 300) in Vero and RD cells. YZ-LY-0 in combination with an EV71 RdRp inhibitor or an entry inhibitor showed an antagonistic effect at very low concentrations. However, at higher concentrations the inhibitors exhibited a synergistic effect in inhibiting viral replication. Preliminary results on investigation of the mechanism of inhibition indicate that YZ-LY-0 does not block the entry of the virus in the host cell, but instead inhibits an early stage of EV71 replication. Our studies provide a potential clinical therapeutic option against EV71 infections and suggest that a combined application of YZ-LY-0 with other inhibitors could be more effective in the treatment of HFMD.
Keywords: EV71, inhibitor, mechanism
Yang Q, Jie Q, Shaw N, Li L, Rao Z, Yin Z, Lou Z. Studies on Inhibition of Proliferation of Enterovirus-71 by Compound YZ-LY-0. Int J Biol Sci 2015; 11(11):1337-1347. doi:10.7150/ijbs.12996. Available from http://www.ijbs.com/v11p1337.htm