Int J Biol Sci 2017; 13(10):1341-1350. doi:10.7150/ijbs.17948
Clenbuterol Induces Cell Cycle Arrest in C2C12 Myoblasts by Delaying p27 Degradation through β-arrestin 2 Signaling
1. State Key Laboratory for Agrobiotechnology, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100193, China
2. Beijing Advanced Innovation Center for Food Nutrition and Human Health, College of Biological Science, China Agricultural University
3. Guangxi Province Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Nanning 530028, China
4. Animal Science/Molecular Biology Bldg, University of Wyoming, Laramie WY82071, USA
* These authors contributed equally to this work
β2-Adrenoceptor (β2-AR) agonists promote muscle growth. The aim of this study was to elucidate some effects of the selective β2-adrenoceptor agonist clenbuterol (CLB) on myoblast proliferation. We found that CLB induces cell cycle arrest in C2C12 myoblasts. This effect is partly due to the enhanced stability of p27, rather than the increased gene transcription via cAMP response element-binding protein (CREB). Specifically, CLB treatment enhanced the accumulation of p27 in the nucleus while depleting it from the cytosol via a mechanism that requires β2-AR. Surprisingly, p27 accumulation was not reversed by the protein kinase A (PKA) inhibitor H-89, but interestingly, was alleviated by the knockdown of β-arrestin 2. Thus, our work provides a basis for β2-AR agonists inhibit myoblasts proliferation through signaling via β2-AR, β-arrestin 2, and p27.
Keywords: clenbuterol, p27, cell cycle, β2-AR, β-arrestin 2.
Chen M, Liu C, Wang M, Wang H, Zhang K, Zheng Y, Yu Z, Li X, Guo W, Li N, Meng Q. Clenbuterol Induces Cell Cycle Arrest in C2C12 Myoblasts by Delaying p27 Degradation through β-arrestin 2 Signaling. Int J Biol Sci 2017; 13(10):1341-1350. doi:10.7150/ijbs.17948. Available from http://www.ijbs.com/v13p1341.htm