Int J Biol Sci 2018; 14(9):1090-1098. doi:10.7150/ijbs.25996
The Nrf2 Signaling in Retinal Ganglion Cells under Oxidative Stress in Ocular Neurodegenerative Diseases
1. Department of Ophthalmology, The First Hospital of Jilin University, Jilin, China.
2. Department of Radiology, The First Hospital of Jilin University, Jilin, China.
3. Department of . Neurosurgery, The People's Hospital of Jilin Province, Jilin, China.
4. Department of Gastroenterology, The First Hospital of Jilin University, Jilin, China.
5. Department of Cardiology, The First Hospital of Jiamusi University, Heilongjiang, China.
Retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) are one of the important cell types affected in many ocular neurodegenerative diseases. Oxidative stress is considered to be involved in retinal RGCs death in ocular neurodegenerative diseases. More and more attention has been focused on studying the agents that may have neuroprotective effects. Nuclear factor (erythroid-derived 2)-like 2 (Nrf2) is a key nuclear transcription factor for the systemic antioxidant defense system. This review elucidates the underlying mechanism of the Nrf2-mediated neuroprotective effects on RGCs in ocular neurodegenerative diseases, such as diabetic retinopathy and retinal ischemia-reperfusion injury. Several Nrf2 inducers that shield RGCs from oxidative stress-induced neurodegeneration via regulating Nrf2 signaling are discussed.
Keywords: retinal ganglion cells, neurodegenerative diseases, oxidative stress, Nrf2, Keap1
Liu XF, Zhou DD, Xie T, Hao JL, Malik TH, Lu CB, Qi J, Pant OP, Lu CW. The Nrf2 Signaling in Retinal Ganglion Cells under Oxidative Stress in Ocular Neurodegenerative Diseases. Int J Biol Sci 2018; 14(9):1090-1098. doi:10.7150/ijbs.25996. Available from http://www.ijbs.com/v14p1090.htm