Int J Biol Sci 2011; 7(5):567-574. doi:10.7150/ijbs.7.567
Short Research Communication
miR-148a Promoted Cell Proliferation by Targeting p27 in Gastric Cancer Cells
1. State Key Laboratory of Proteomics, Genetic Laboratory of Development and Diseases, Institute of Biotechnology, Beijing, P.R. China
2. General Surgery Department, PLA General Hospital & PLA Postgraduate School of Medicine, Beijing, P.R. China
3. Model Organism Division, E-institutes of Shanghai Universities, Shanghai Jiaotong University, P.R. China
4. General Surgery Department, China-Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing, P.R. China
5. Neurosurgery Department, China-Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing, P.R. China
# Shui-Long Guo and Zheng Peng contributed equally to this work.
Accumulating evidence has shown that miRNAs are aberrantly expressed in human gastric cancer and crucial to tumorigenesis. Herein, we identified the role of miR-148a in gastric cell proliferation. miR-148a knockdown inhibited cell proliferation in gastric cancer cell lines. Conversely, miR-148a overexpression promoted cell proliferation and cell cycle progression. p27, a key inhibitor of cell cycle, was verified as the target of miR-148a, indicating miR-148a might downregulate p27 expression to promote gastric cell proliferation. Moreover, we confirmed that miR-148a expression was frequently and dramatically downregulated in human advanced gastric cancer tissues, and observed a good inverse correlation between miR-148a and p27 expression in tumor samples. Thus, our results demonstrated that miR-148a downregulation might exert some sort of antagonistic function in cell proliferation, rather than promote cell proliferation in gastric cancer.
Keywords: gastric cancer, cell proliferation, miR-148a, p27
Guo SL, Peng Z, Yang X, Fan KJ, Ye H, Li ZH, Wang Y, Xu XL, Li J, Wang YL, Teng Y, Yang X. miR-148a Promoted Cell Proliferation by Targeting p27 in Gastric Cancer Cells. Int J Biol Sci 2011; 7(5):567-574. doi:10.7150/ijbs.7.567. Available from http://www.ijbs.com/v07p0567.htm