Int J Biol Sci 2021; 17(1):285-297. doi:10.7150/ijbs.52043
Novel Functions of CD147 in the Mitochondria Exacerbates Melanoma Metastasis
1. Department of Dermatology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan China.
2. Hunan Key Laboratory of Skin Cancer and Psoriasis, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, China.
3. Hunan Engineering Research Center of Skin Health and Disease, Changsha, Hunan, China.
4. Department of Oncology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan China.
5. Department of Plastic surgery, Xiangya Third Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan China.
Lu L, Zhang J, Gan P, Wu L, Zhang X, peng C, Zhou J, Chen X, Su J. Novel Functions of CD147 in the Mitochondria Exacerbates Melanoma Metastasis. Int J Biol Sci 2021; 17(1):285-297. doi:10.7150/ijbs.52043. Available from https://www.ijbs.com/v17p0285.htm
Melanoma is an aggressive form of skin cancer characterized by rapid invasion and metastasis. CD147 is known to be functioning in cell invasion. In this study, we showed that CD147 was translocated from the cell membrane to the mitochondria in advanced melanoma. Melanoma patients with CD147 localized to the mitochondria confer a worse prognosis. The mitochondrial CD147 levels are correlated with the invasion potential of various melanoma cell lines as well as mitochondrial energy metabolism. Depletion of CD147 decreased the activity of mitochondrial complex V. STRING analysis for protein-protein interaction networks (PPIN) in CD147-depleted melanoma cells showed that mitochondrial proteins HSP60 and ATP5B, a subunit of mitochondrial complex V, were node proteins. HSP60 upregulation was correlated with a worse prognosis of melanoma patients. Co-immunoprecipitation (Co-IP) assay indicates that CD147 interacts with HSP60. These data suggested that mitochondrial CD147 may prompt HSP60 to activate ATP5B, thereby promoting the mitochondrial aerobic oxidation and the invasive abilities of melanoma cells. Correlation analysis of the data acquired from patients was helpful to draw a 5-year survival curve for patients who screened positive and negative for mitochondrial CD147. This study unravels the function of CD147 in tumor invasion and highlights it as a potential tumor therapeutic target.
Keywords: Mitochondria, CD147, Melanoma, invasion, aerobic oxidation